Potential adoptive families must agree to the following:
- The family has not adopted or acquired another dog within the past six months and does not plan to adopt or acquire another dog within the next six months.
- The family has not had or adopted a baby within the past six months and does not plan to have or adopt a baby within the next six months.
- There are no unaltered dogs in the home, unless they are used as part of a reputable breeding operation or for show, and appropriate measures will be taken to guard against unwanted pregnancy.
- The adopted dog will be kept in the home when the family is sleeping or away from home. RAGOM does not allow dogs to be kept outdoors or in a garage while the family is sleeping or away.
- There is no outdoor kennel or dog house on the family's property.
- There is no doggy door or other means for the dog to access the outdoors unsupervised.
- The family does not use aversive training methods such as shock collars or prong collars.
- The dog's primary home will not be a nursing home or group home. RAGOM will adopt to an employee of a facility if the dog is a family member that goes to work and returns home with the employee at the end of their work shift.
- All resident dogs in the home are up to date on all core vaccines, have received annual health exams and heartworm tests, and have been kept current on heartworm preventatives.
RAGOM’s adoption territory includes:
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- Western Wisconsin (within 75 miles of the Minnesota border)
If you are located outside these areas, please apply with your local rescue! Our leadership team will consider exceptions, but only for hard-to-adopt dogs or dogs that have been available for adoption 60 days or longer. Potential out-of-territory applicants should email outofterritoryragom [dot] org before completing an Inquiry for Application.
If you have no email or only limited internet access, call our general information line at 952-946-8070 and leave a message. Note that we are an all-volunteer organization and most RAGOM volunteers have full-time jobs, families, and dogs of their own. We do our best to respond to all requests in a timely manner.
If you don't receive a status email within 48 hours of submitting an Inquiry for Application, please check your spam or junk folder.