|In addition to LOVE this dog has the following requirements:|
|Date Posted ||Fence ||Kid Friendly ||Another Dog ||Cat Friendly|
| 12.14.16|| Physical Fence Required||>5 (not tested with younger kids) ||not required ||not tested |
|This is the most recent information available; however, it may change as we learn more about the dog.|
We have a wonderful PB Golden girl for you to meet. Sunny Girl ,or Sunny for short, came into RAGOMs care as a result of an auto injury. Sunny ran into the street, was hit by a car and sustained a fractured jaw on Nov 14th.
Her owners loved her very much but couldn't guarantee her safety so they did the best thing for Sunny knowing RAGOM will find her a safe home.
This what we know about Sunny:
- She is a 3 1/2 year old purebred Golden, a beautiful mahogany color with lovely dark eyes.
- She shows the typical GR traits,eager to please, seeks attention with a gentle paw. We haven't seen her jump on anyone.
- She sits quietly when getting pets from our 5 and 8 year old neighbor boys.
- She hasn't met a cat while in our home.
- She is on a restricted diet until the end of this month (Dec 2016).Soft food and NO chew toys. We soak dry dog food in hot water then mash it up. She eagerly eats it even if not enhanced with canned food, cottage cheese,etc.Does not counter surf or beg at the table. She never had table food in her former home.
- She was seriously overweight on admission at 88.5 pounds.Her ideal weight is about 75 pounds. So far she has lost 4 pounds so is making good progress (3 cups dry dog food daily).
- Sunny didn't get much exercise before her move. Her owners tried to walk her but she pulled at the leash. She will still try to pull but I use a harness or a Gentle Leader with good results.
- She is crate trained and goes in there for naps on her own.
- Sleeps all night with no whining or barking.
- She is housebroken, no accidents as of yet. She will go to the door or come and find us, putting her paw on our knees until we make eye contact to let us know she needs to go out. She knows the word outside
- She just finished 3 weeks of treatment for a persistent ear infection. Because she gets frightened and is very strong it is hard to get the meds in her ears. Did I mention that she is very smart and very wary, not easily tricked into treatments.
Is Sunny a perfect dog? Pretty close but needs to keep working on the following issues:
- Bolts out the door so a fence is mandatory. She will squeeze past you to get out.
- She is strong and strong willed, not good at recall when outside. We are working on the stay command with minor success.
- She is learning to heel, with the correct restraint. She growls at other dogs and now that it's cold, at scary people wearing hats and face masks. Responds to No or Leave it by immediately sitting. If the person lets Sunny approach them she is very friendly.
- Because she is food oriented, positive training with treats as motivation will go well. She definately would benefit from formal class training.
She plays with our RAGOM dog Annie 13-143. They were both born in March of 2013. Sunny is the dominant dog, she will try to intimidate our dog by not letting her through the doorway for example. Most of the time they wrestle and have a great time. We intervene when she's being too dominant. Sunny is our first foster dog , it's been a pleasure having her in our home. She will make a great addition to a family.If Sunny seems like a possible match for you please contact your placement advisor.