On Aug 25, Bruce, or as I prefer to call him, Bruce the Wonder Dog arrived in St Paul safe and sound and not a minute too soon. He was at the St Cloud dog pound and was probably going to meet the grim reaper that day or next. Bruce was picked up as a stray on Aug 8 by the city dog catcher so very little is known about him. But a couple of RAGOM volunteers sprung him out of doggie jail before the guards even knew he was gone. Another great escape by RAGOM! He is a gorgeous boy, with lots of energy, very affectionate and seems to love all people and other dogs. Soon as we get to know him we will provide details.
Update Aug 27
Well we are moving along with Bruce and are learning a lot about him. THIS IS A SWEETHEART OF A DOG. Loves everyone, gets along with all dogs he meets, met a couple of kids on bikes and seemed excited to meet them. We had a pretty good thunder storm in St Paul last night and no anxiety at all. Just to keep things moving he was neutered today and had a much needed dental cleaning. He is now update on all shots and here are the good things we know about him medically:
- The vet confirms he is about 10 years old. But wow, does he have energy. We thought he would spend the days sleeping on couch. Not a chance.
- His teeth were very tartar but now have been taken care of as well as some gum tissue removed. His teeth are great.
- NO heartworm.
- He was neutered today and the blood work done looks "excellent".
- He was checked for parasites (you know what that means, a big bag of poop) and was clean.
- Eyes, lung, heart sound good.
A couple of concerns:
- He has hip dysplasia but he seems to have no problem walking, going up stairs and does not appear to be in any pain.
- He has an enlarged prostate. The vet could do a test for a tumor but that has some risk. She said sometimes after a neuter it goes down so we will monitor that.
Now the really important things.
He loves people, loves to be brushed and loves the outside. He would rather be outside than inside. A possible hint to his background. Last night as he lay on the floor, the TV show we were watching had a baby crying. Bruce immediately perked up and looked around. Soon as he knew it was on the TV he went over to it with ears up and head moving back and forth. So maybe there was baby in his life. Of course he did the same thing when Animal Planet had a show with a bellowing baby elephant. So who knows?
More to come later.